NEW TO KNITTING CLASS, IN PERSON, THURSDAYS, JAN 11 and 18, 5:30 - 7:30pm *FULL
Thursday, January 11 and 18, 5:30 - 7:30 pm
This beginner class will introduce you to the fundamentals of hand knitting. Perfect for a complete newcomer to the craft or for those looking to brush up on their skills, held over 2 sessions, the class includes step-by-step guidance as you create a scarf.
In session 1 you will learn about needles, gauge, yarns, and styles of knitting. You'll also cast on, knit, join yarn and begin knitting a garter stitch scarf. We'll discuss repairing a dropped stitch so that you can continue on with confidence.
Homework: work on knitting your garter stitch scarf
In session 2 you will learn to cast off and finish your scarf with fringes, if you choose. You'll also learn the purl and stockinette stitch. We'll discuss avoiding dropped stitches, added stitches, and inconsistent stitches. We welcome you to begin a stockinette-stitch scarf or cowl, or to add stockinette stitch to your work in progress, and meet us in our follow-up class, Next Steps in Knitting.
Materials (sold separately)
- we ask that yarn used in class be purchased in our shop and we will happily help you to choose a good fit for your project.
- Important! Your skein of yarn needs to be wound into a ball ahead of class. Be sure to come ahead of the date to purchase your yarn and we will help you with winding. (bonus! - you'll receive a 10% discount on materials purchased for your class)
Duration & Format
- 2 sessions (4 hours total)
- in person workshop at HW Studio - the WoolWorks, 92 Keddy Bridge Rd, Mahone Bay , NS
- instructor: Chris and Heidi
- please choose pick-up when purchasing this class online
- classes require a minimum of 4 students so bring a friend - or 3, to form your own class!
- In the case of rescheduling or cancellation you will be contacted by email 4 days before class (weather related cancellations may be one day in advance).
- the email that you provide will be used as your contact in the event that a class is cancelled etc.
- all students receive a 10% discount on yarns, fabrics and fibres purchased on the day of class